Deputy Terry Wilson
August 28, 2019 Deputy Wilson attended training in St. Joseph from instructor Issac Sandidge.
Training objectives included:
Define and discuss the impact of trauma, vicarious trauma, and burnout on professional and personal wellbeing.
Identify compassion fatigue and burnout warning signs.
Describe individual self-care and resiliency strategies to mitigate the damage impacts of trauma and associated stress responses.
Discuss implementing systematic change and support policies and procedures.
In 2018 a total of 159 law enforcement officers died by suicide and at the current rate the number will be higher for 2019.
Deputy Wilson reported key things he got from the class include:
- When you leave work for the day leave work at work and focus on you and family and friends.
- If you feel you are having trouble do not feel ashamed to ask for help.
- Take you vacations and time off and enjoy your time from the job and try to focus on you and not your job.
- If you see a coworker having difficulty do not wait for them to ask for help go to them and ask if you can help them in any way you can.
- Things to help you are eating good meals and not fast food all the time, good night sleep, exercise on a regular basics and take time away from work for yourself and family.
We appreciate having Deputy Wilson on our TEAM and everything he does for our citizens and office.