Mask Mandate by Health Center, County Commission and City of Chillicothe
Livingston County COVID-19 Executive Order Guidance
PER EXECUTIVE ORDER FROM LIVINGSTON COUNTY HEALTH CENTER, CHILLICOTHE MAYOR THERESA KELLY AND PRESIDING COMMISSIONER ED DOUGLAS
This is a continually evolving situation. Expect updates to this order as the COVID-19 Pandemic takes its course.
AN EMERGENCY DECLARATION ESTABLISHING THE REQUIREMENT TO WEAR A FACE MASK IN CERTAIN LOCATIONS IN ORDER TO PREVENT OR LIMIT THE SPREAD OF THE COVID-19 DISEASE AND FIXING AN EFFECTIVE DATE.
WHEREAS, the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) is a highly infectious and dangerous disease that on March 11,2020 was declared by the World Health Organization to be a pandemic; and
WHEREAS, due to the COVID-19 pandemic there have been declarations of emergency enacted by the President of the United States, and the Governor of the State of Missouri; and
WHEREAS, due to the rapid spread and the existence of community transmission of COVID-19 within the City, the spread of COVID-19 will continue to grow at an exponential rate for the foreseeable future unless additional measures are implemented to reduce the spread of the disease in Livingston County, and
WHEREAS, in addition to overwhelming the medical system and threatening the health and lives of residents, the spread of the disease will cause economic damage, disruption and hardship in the event the County find in necessary to return to the former stay at home orders to reduce the spread of the disease; and
WHEREAS, due to the escalating spread of the COVID-19 pandemic it is necessary for the immediate preservation of public health, safety and welfare of the residents of Livingston County to take steps to mitigate the spread of the disease; and
WHEREAS, the key transmission method for the COVID-19 virus is through respiratory droplets that people expel when they breathe, speak, cough or sneeze; and
WHEREAS, people can be infected with the COVID-19 virus and be asymptomatic or pre-symptomatic but still be contagious to others; and
WHEREAS, numerous epidemiologists have found that widespread use of a face covering or masks is necessary to prevent the more rapid spread of the COVID-19 virus, and thereby necessary for the safety and health of Livingston county citizens, residents, and visitors; and
WHEREAS, the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has recommended that members of the public, when they need to interact with others outside the home, and especially in indoor settings should cover their mouth and nose to prevent inadvertently spreading COVID-19; and
WHEREAS, the wearing of a face covering or mask by patrons and employees to the greatest extent possible may allow businesses to remain open while protecting the health and safely of the public and employees and keeping he local economy strong and out schools open during the period In which the disease is being brought out under control in the community; and
WHEREAS, the Livingston County Health Center. finds that wearing a Face Covering or Mask is an appropriate and necessary method of reducing the spread of COVID-19 and will be the least restrictive means imposed with the greatest benefit to reduce community spread; and
WHEREAS, strict use of face coverings or masks may limit the spread of COVID-19 to such an extent that further Stay at Home Orders may not be needed; and
WHEREAS, the Livingston County Health Center with endorsement from the City of Chillicothe, the Commissioners of Livingston County, Chillicothe R-II School District, and Hedrick Medical Center deem it is in the best interest of public health for individuals to practice social distancing and use the additional precaution of face coverings or masks while in public contact with other persons and finds it is necessary for the immediate preservation of an EMERGENCY DECLARATION on the day of introduction so that such rules may go into effect on November 20, 2020.
AS OF FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 20TH, 2020 THE FOLOWING APPLIES:
Except as otherwise provided in this Declaration all persons age seven years old and above who are present within the jurisdiction of the County of Livingston are required to wear a clean Face Covering or Mask any time they are, or will be, in contact with other people who are not household members. The requirement to wear a Face Covering or Mask shall go into effect on November 20, 2020. The Health Center and Public Officials will constantly monitor the situation and reevaluate at the beginning of the year.
Definition. As used in this declaration, a "Face Covering or Mask" means a covering made of cloth, fabric, or other soft or permeable material, without holes, that covers only the nose and mouth and surrounding areas of the lower face. Medical grade masks are not required; coverings may be fashioned from gators, bandanas or other materials. A covering that hides or obscures the wearer's eyes or forehead is not a Face Mask. A Face Mask may be factory-made, or may be handmade and improvised from ordinary household materials.
Any time an employee or staff person is required to wear a Face Covering or Mask pursuant to this Declaration, the employer shall make face masks available in sufficient quantity to assure each employee can wear a clean Face Covering or Mask at all times.
All public facilities and businesses that are open to the public are required to post a sign at all entrances that face coverings or masks are required to be worn inside the facility or business.
EXCEPTIONS for the Face Covering or Mask requirement are as follows:
1. While outdoors when able to maintain a distance of at least six feet from others
2. While exercising indoors when able to maintain a distance of at least six feet from others
3. When engaged in a sporting activity
4. While at home and exclusively in the presence of members of their own household, provided however, the wearing of a Face Covering or Mask shall be required in all common areas of any multifamily structure
5. When in your or your family's personal vehicle
6. While eating or drinking only when inside or in the outside dining area of a restaurant or other establishment that offers food or beverage service
7. Persons who fall into the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's guidance for those who should not wear face coverings due to a medical condition, mental health condition, developmental disability, or are otherwise covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act
8. When any party to a communication is deaf or hard of hearing and not wearing a Face Covering or Mask is essential to communication
9. While obtaining a service that requires temporary removal of the Face Covering or Mask, such as medical or dental examinations
10. When necessary to confirm the individual's identity
11. When federal or state law prohibits wearing a Face Covering or Mask or requires the removal of a Face Covering or Mask
12. When requested by a law enforcement officer
13. When requested by a medical provider, including emergency response Personnel
14. When in a business/commercial/office setting and not within six feet of any other person, provided however, when moving from place to place in a business location where the person cannot maintain at all times a distance of six feet from all other persons a Face Covering or Mask shall be worn
15. Under such other circumstances identified in any subsequent order, formal guidance or approved Operational Plan issued by the County Health Center and in general conformance with the spirit and intent of this declaration
16. Children under the age of seven (7). Children ages three (3) to seven (7) are strongly encouraged, but not required to wear a face covering, while under direct supervision of an adult, and
17. Persons working in settings which might increase the risk of heat-related illnesses.
Thank you for your cooperation with this Executive Order